NEW PROJECT! EMPI IMP - The beginning

February 6, 2021

I decided to track my progress on my new project - A 1960s? VW Empi Dune Buggy! 


So, I had been hunting for a buggy since I sold my first buggy back in 2005. I had already located one at Don's Bug Barn in Athens, Texas. But, while I was waiting for them to locate a chassis, I found the Imp in Lampasas, Tx. Bug Acres, a long-time air-cooled VW salvage yard, had sold to new owners and they were clearing everything out super cheap!


It’s a long haul across Texas, but on January 25, 2021 my Daughter Kayla and I took a road trip to Bug Acres and picked it up. 


We got it home, took the body off the pan it came with and began assessing the future.


LOOK! Someone liked the checkered pattern!

Ok, so I began by pulling off all the loose and REALLY old rusted hardware to begin repair of the ancient fiberglass that enjoyed the Texas sun for... a few decades.


Something that once was a battery box. Not so much anymore. 


Anyway, buh bye rusty straps. My trophy spread.


Here's a glimpse of the pristine gelcoat. 😳

Well, on to my biggest concern. There was a really large hole & multiple cracks in the rear driver's side, so I decided to tackle that first. Now I've never really done extensive fiberglass restoration, but I've been doing plenty of research so if it doesn't look quite right, please forgive.


I began by reinforcing the warped fiberglass and grinding away to expose some fresh glass and get a little bite for the new layers...


Cut out some fiberglass mat in prep for the resin...


I glued in the smaller pieces and gave it one more large coat to seal it all in. I probably could have done a better job on trimming the mat!!

So, that's all for now. Hopefully, next post we'll be starting on the new chassis!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 2021 Empi Imp update